Niles, Michigan...the City of four flags!

Property Assessment
Code of Ordinances
Departments and Services
 overview assessing dept building safety division city clerk
 community development dept department of public works dial a ride
finance fire dept human resources organization chart parks and recreation
 police dept  requests for proposals & bids tax dept utilities

City Clerk
  Overview    Appointed Officials    Attending A Council Meeting    Election Information
  Riverfront Amphitheater Available  Ward Map


Voting Locations
Election Inspectors Needed
Voter Eligibility
Registration Information
Michigan Secretary of State Voter Information
Voting Procedures
Primary And General Elections
Absentee Voting

Email the Niles City Clerk


Voting Locations and Times

Polls open from 7:00 am - 8:00 pm

Niles City Residents Vote in the Following Locations:

Ward 1/Precinct 1 Niles Senior High School 1441 Eagle
Ward 2/Precinct 2 Eastside Connection School 315 N. 14th Street
Ward 3/Precinct 3 Niles Fire Station 1345 East Main
Ward 4/Precinct 4 Westside School 111 Spruce

If you have any questions regarding this election or your voter registration, please call the City Clerk's office at City Hall at 683-4700, ext.3030, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Do You Want To Serve Your Community in Some Way?  Consider Being a Precinct Election Inspector

Would you like to be part of the election process?  Why not consider serving as a Precinct Election Inspector so you can witness the process first hand.  Because of today's busy schedules, vacations and unfortunately, sometimes, illness; new persons are always needed to work at the polls.

Precinct Election Inspectors applications may be obtained at the office of the City Clerk, City Hall, 333 N. Second Street, Ste. 301 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.  Some of the qualifications for the position include the following:

  • You must be at least 16 years of age;

  • You must be a registered voter of Michigan.

The current rate of pay is $8.00 per hour and thorough training will be provided by the Berrien County Clerk at a scheduled session.  If you feel that the day may be too long or you would only be available for a part of the day, we will be assigning some inspectors to half-day work schedules, as needed.  Please consider this opportunity as a way to serve your community.  Click here to complete an election inspector application.  You may call the Clerk's office at 683-4700,ext.3030 if you have any questions, we will be happy to help you. 

Voter Eligibility

You are qualified to vote in Michigan if:

  • You are a citizen of the United States.
  • You are at least 18 years of age.
  • You are a resident of Michigan for at least 30 days before the election.
  • You have registered at least 30 days prior to the election in which you wish to vote.

Back To TopRegistration

You may register at any of the following locations:

  • By Mail
  • At the office of the county, city, township or village clerk.
  • A branch office of the Secretary of State where you obtain your driver's license.;
  • At the Michigan Secretary of State website.
  • Specified State agencies and military recruitment centers.

Change of Address:

  • If you change your address WITHIN the city, township or village, you must re-register to update your address with any of the officials listed above. You will then be placed in the correct precinct and issued a new voter registration card. 
  • If you move from one community to another, you must also re-register to be able to vote.

Name Change:

  • Changes in name due to marriage or legal action require re-registration. This may be done at any of the locations established to take voter registrations.

Political Party Preference;

  • Michigan does not require a declaration of party preference to register or to vote. 

Back To TopVoting Procedures

Where to Vote:

  • Each voter must vote in the voting place designated to serve the precinct or ward in which they reside. This location is indicated on your voter identification card or you may click here to go to the Michigan Voter Information Center

Polls Open:

  • 7:00 am and remain open until 8:00 pm. Anyone in line at 8:00 pm is eligible to vote.

Poll Locations:

  • City of Niles voters will use the same precinct for all elections.

At the Polls:

  • The first step in casting a ballot involves signing your name and address on the application to vote. Information on the application will be compared with the information on the computer poll list.

Instructions for ballots or operating machines:

  • Detailed instructions for the proper method of casting your vote are posted in each precinct. If added help is needed, ask the election inspectors.

Spoiled Ballots:

  • If you tear, spoil, or erroneously mark a ballot, you may return it to the precinct officials and another ballot will be issued to you. Before you return the spoiled ballot, be sure to conceal any marks you have made on it.

Assistance in voting:

  • Any voter who requires assistance to vote because of blindness, physical disability or inability to read or write may be given assistance. Any person of the voter's choice (Federal Law) may assist except their employer, officer of their union or an agent of either. Two election inspectors (Michigan Law) who have expressed a preference for different political parties shall give assistance if the voter has no one to assist when assistance is requested.


  • Federal Law requires that every precinct be made accessible to voters with disabilities.

Back To TopPrimary And General Election

Primary Election:

  • In a primary election the members of each party nominate candidates for the general election. Also conducted are non-partisan primaries where the list of candidates exceeds more than twice the number to be elected.
  • You may vote the primary ballot of any political party but vote for candidates of one political party ONLY. If you vote in more than one partisan section of the ballot, the partisan ballot will be rejected.

General Election:

  • In the general election all voters elect officials from the party nominees and independent candidates.

Absentee Voting

You may vote absentee ballot if you:

  • Expect to be absent from the community of which registered for the entire time the polls are open on election day.
  • Are physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another.
  • Cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of your religion.
  • Have been appointed an election precinct inspector in a precinct other than the precinct where you reside.
  • Are 60 years of age or more.
  • Cannot attend the polls because of confinement in jail awaiting arraignment or trial.

Application can be by:

Applying for Absentee Ballot:

  • By contacting the clerk of your municipality, in the case of a state primary or general election, the city or township clerk. State in the application that you are a registered elector of the community, state a statutory reason, tell where the ballot must be mailed or delivered, give your present registered address and sign the request. A.V. Ballots can be mailed only to registration address or outside the community.
  • Each person who desires an absentee ballot must sign the request as ballots are sent or delivered only to those who sign.
  • Application can be made for one election only or for the August primary election and November general election which follows on one form. Applications may be accepted no sooner than 75 days preceding the primary election.
  • No Absentee Voter Ballots will be supplied through telephone requests.

Deadline for applying for Absentee Ballot:

  • Application must be made by 2:00 pm on the Saturday preceding the election.
  • If after the deadline has passed and it is found an A.V. Ballot is required, the elector may vote by absentee ballot in person by 4:00 pm of the day preceding election. 

Federal Post Card Application:

This post card may be used not only for applying for A.V. ballots but also may be accepted as a voter registration if the oath has been executed. The use of this application is restricted to:

  • Members of the Armed Forces and their spouses and dependents.
  • Member of Merchant Marines and their spouses and dependents.
  • U.S. citizens temporarily living or traveling outside of the territorial limits of the United States.

Back To Top